Welcome to our regular update on the Plaza’s exciting restoration and refurbishment, Phase 1 of which was made possible with the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund providing a grant of £1.9 million, The North West Regional Development Agency providing £650,000 and Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council assisting with a pledge of £300,000 alongside the donations raised from the general public at events and during post show collections all of which have enabled us to save and restore your Plaza Super Cinema and Variety Theatre back to her former 1930’s art deco glory.
The Plaza is still fundraising to continue the next stages of our ongoing maintenance and restoration therefore if you could support us in any way, whether donating a £1 or more on our just giving site to sponsoring a seat plaque, giving to our bucket collections after a screening or show or simply sending a donation we will be eternally grateful.
Join us as we successfully complete further aspects of the astounding Restoration and Maintenance of Stockports 1932 Art Deco Super Cinema and Variety Theatre and detailed below is an update as detailed by Gary Trinder our Vice Chairman and Technical Director who under his expert guidance and commitment to detail has ensured that we not only return to our community a venue for which they can justly be proud as she serves many future generations to come but also a rare example of a building of international significance that stands out as a beacon of what can be achieved when you have the dedication and drive to save a much loved venue and return her to her magnificent opening day glory….
Restoration Update – Projects Completed by The Stockport Plaza Trust in 2013/14
- Complete authentic seating replacement & bespoke carpet to circle – £500,000
- Extension of General Office to accomodate additional staff – £22,000
- Complete clean and re-leather of Compton Organ and organ chamber restoration £42,000 (£40,000 insurance funded)
- Office air-conditioning – £3,500
- Number of small projects including restaurant coat stands and additional Lloyd-loom seating funding by friends of The Plaza
- Computer and IT system refresh – £3,500
- Decoration of one dressing room – £250
- Stage flooring replacement in authentic maple – £12,000
- Stage lantern replacement – £6,000
- Reinstatement pf original circle rake – £100,000
- Installation of pass door circle to back stage – £1,000
- Installation of cinema surround system to stalls – £1,000
- Installation of circle sales point – £1,500
Project Aspirations 2015
- Replace glass in Compton illuminated surround with exact replica of 1932 original approximate cost £8,500
- Additional work on Compton Organ to complete full restoration not covered by insurance funding – £9,000
- Re-plastering of ceilings over staircases and redecoration of same together with building decorative ‘touch up’ – £7,000 (£4,000 I/F)
- Painting of decorative outdoor vistas to auditorium stage front and balcony – £2,500
- Installation of bespoke sound system including ‘hidden’ loudspeakers circa £100,000
- Repair, cleaning and refinishing terazzo stair surfaces to main staircase – £9,000
- Silver foil application to main ceiling dome, including access equipment – £25,000
- Re-plastering of projection box and damp proofing of rectifier room – £2,500
- Replacement authentic 1930’s style boiler and coffee machine for restaurant – £6,000
- Various small decorative items to complete the project inclduing display boards, paintings, Lloyd-Loom furniture in lounge and 30’s decorative pieces approximately £3,500
- Installation of coolers in key sales areas – £1,500
- Reconfiguration of kitchen annex area to benefit additional space – £5,500
- Improved securing to box office and chip & pin installation – £1,500
- Bespoke ‘Plaza Logo’ crockery – £8,000
- Decoration of remaining dressing rooms – £2,000
- Provision of air-conditioning to back stage dressing room areas £25,000
Keep visiting our site for regular updates and images as your Plaza is restored to her original glory and we look forward to welcoming you to our varied and exciting stage and screen presentations alongside our fully restored Café Lounge which is open daily – Monday to Saturday for light lunches and teas in an environment to evoke the glamour of our 1930’s gem.
Latest restoration newsAll restoration news
Support the Stockport Plaza
Help us to continue our restoration project with a one off donation.
Why not buy a Plaza Gift Voucher?
For someone special what better than an unforgettable visit to the local theatre?
Download our latest brochure
Covering all upcoming events